Wednesday, March 2, 2011

reservations recommended...

I would have reservations about recommending the 5th book in my quest to 50 Reservations Recommended by Eric Kraft
While I loved his book Herb and Lorna I did not love this it did not seem to have enough....hhmmm I think "kindness" is the word. The main character is Matthew is a reviewer of restaurants in addition to his career as a toymaker. He is recently divorced and trying to remake himself into someone his x would come back too. He points out how insufferable he finds other diners but seems blind to the fact that he is exactly like them. Krafts writing is really good and easy to read thus helpful to getting through the book. I suppose the fact that he can write well enough to get me invested in disliking Matthew is a plus but overall the story was not appealing to me. I may reread Herb and Lorna just to help push this one out of my head.

Next up is a book called Turpentine by Spring Warren. I picked it up initially because of the cover featuring a buffalo drew me in, now I have noticed the authors name and am trying not to be prejudiced by it. This is her first novel and she is compared to Larry McMurtry in the cover reviews. This could be a good thing but also mean that its a lame attempt at a cowboy book. Guess I will find out soon enough!

Keep Smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment