Monday, March 14, 2011

Book 6 and sunshine

I often read more then one book at a time. Usually one is nonfiction or short stories. I like to pick it up when I just have a few moments to read. It takes me much longer to read them this way but I like having a little change of pace sometimes. I just finished David Sedaris's When You are Engulfed in Flames, I have read this before but as I ate my lunch one day I picked it up and started reading. It became my lunch book for a while then my breakfast book. I kept it downstairs so I read it when my other book wasn't near.

I also know I said I was going to start Turpentine by Spring Warren but it has been pushed back a bit. I traveled to visit my sister in Moorhead and as a bed present I got The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. I have been looking for this for a while! I had just had a conversation with one of my nieces about how much I hate E readers and once I picked up this book and felt its weight the texture of its paper I declared "No e-reader can compare!" I am head over heels in love with this book! Not only its content, the early years of Theodore Roosevelt's life but also its whole being. I feel silly to admit this but I find myself stroking the pages loving how they feel in my hand. I have already bent several pages marking interesting facts or phrases. I hate to think books will not mean the same to my young nieces and nephews.

About half my siblings are readers wavering between avid and occasionally. As I have said before I had fallen into the "occasional reader"category but am determined to immerse myself again this year. A couple of my siblings read no books at all only a magazine once and a while. My Father was not a reader until he retired then he would read a book a day almost. During my trip to Moorhead my brother and I discussed our love of books. He said there were really no books in our house when he was a kid. My mom got the readers digest but that was it. Because my family is so large the older siblings often have a different experience, I can remember shelves of books in the living room. Of course many were the Readers Digest Compilations but at some point my mom must of joined a book club she got hardcover books in the mail. I remember sneaking North Dallas Forty off the shelf to read the naughty parts. I still lived with my parents when my Father began his veracious reading. Maybe it was my older siblings who were off to college that got my Mom reading.

I do hope to always have access to books and am lucky that my brothers have books stores. I have watched several bookstores close including my beloved Hungry Mind aka Ruminator. Currently I go to Common Good Bookstore which is owned by Garrison Keillor. Mostly from my brother though and never NEVER EVER AMAZON OR BARNES N NOBLE! I will gladly give you my rant about them anytime in person but spare you this now.

Read On!

Keep Smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment